Yesterday NewsGator made NetNewsWire a free download for the MAC. To find out more about NetNewsWire go here
We all know how much I love RSS feeds. I used NewsGator when it first came out a few years ago for Windows and have used it with Outlook. So naturally I just had to download NetNewsWire and give it a try.
I assumed that NetNewsWire would be able to import my existing feeds out of MacMail. Well I didn’t see this option anyplace nor did I see it mentioned. I then thought well maybe I can export out of MacMail…NOPE.
I did some searching on the web and found a few postings where folks had almost the same problem. One person was trying to export the feeds out of NetNewsWire and get them into MacMail. The post had two solutions. Run a php script that would turn the NetNewsWire OPML file into a bookmark file that can be imported into Safari. The other was being able to drag the subscription from NetNewsWire right into MacMail.
So, I tried to drag from MacMail into NetNewsWire and no can do.
No way was I going to manually enter each feed into NetNewsWire, MacMail doesn’t provide an EASY way of viewing the address of the feed. Besides typing them in manually is so non-geek.
This is what I did. This may not be the best way, most practical or whatever. I don’t care it worked for me and was a lot quicker then trying code something or keep on searching..etc.
1. Navigate to the RSS folder located under users\your user name\library\mail\rss
2. For each RSS feed you have in MacMail you will have a folder. Open the folder and then open the Info.plist file. I used TextEdit.
3. This file is an XML file, look for the string element. Within the tag you will see the URL for the feed.
4. Highlight only the address and while holding down the CTRL key click on the address
5. Select the first option Open URL from the pop up menu.
If NetNewsWire (or any other reader) is configured as your default reader you will then be prompted to add the feed to the reader. You would need to repeat the steps for each folder you have.
If anyone knows of a better way or a utility that does it I am interested in hearing about it. Of course it would be a hell of a lot easier if NetNewsWire could import the feeds from MacMail or if MacMail could export the feeds into OPML.